Friday, June 19, 2009

Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie "Cake"

Today was my handsome hubby's 28th birthday so we celebrated with a round of golf (I am lobster red after not seeing the sun much since before my mission!) going to the movie "Up" (I highly recommend it . . . darling!) and of course birthday cake!
This year I made my cookie dough loving hubby a giant cookie cake . . . so I have another cake making an appearance! (SG fam I am bringing half of it to Mom's Saturday so we don't have it at our house to tempt us . . . so grab a fork and head over!) I am going to have to change my blog title if this keeps up!My nephew has requested an Optimus Prime birthday cake on Tuesday . . . so yes I will most likely have another cake posted again! We will see if I get anything else on here between now and then! I think this would also be a great idea to do with sugar cookies or to substitute M&M's in place of the chocolate chips! I did a light chocolate cream cheese filling by adding melted chocolate chips but you can so straight up cream cheese filling by eliminating the chocolate. It seriously was a fun cake and delish to devour! Zum Geburtstag Viel Glueck babe!

Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie "Cake"

4 cups all-purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Salt
6 Tbsp Butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed Light Brown Sugar
3/4 cup granulated Sugar
3 tsp pure Vanilla Extract
2 large Eggs, plus 2 Egg Yolks
3/4 cup Heavy Cream
3 cups Semisweet or Milk Chocolate Chips (I am a milk chocolate girl myself)

Cream Cheese Filling
4 Packages Cream Cheese, room temperature (if you use fat free cream cheese it is a little more runny, I meet in the middle and do neufchatel or half neufchatel and half fat free . . .)1-1 1/2 cups Confectioners' Sugar
2 Tbsp Butter, room temperature
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Semi-Sweet or Milk Chocolate chips, melted (optional)

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Put butter and brown and granulated sugars into mixer bowl; mix on medium until pale and fluffy. Mix in vanilla, eggs, and yolks. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the cream. Stir in chocolate chips.
2. For each of the 7 layers, drop 1 level cup batter onto center of a baking sheet lined with parchment (keep unbaked dough refrigerated). Spread batter with wet hands or a spoon into an 8-inch circle. Bake until edges are pale golden brown, about 8 minutes. Remove from oven. Use offset spatula to reshape circle. Return to oven; bake until edges are golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes more. Transfer to wire rack; let cool. Can be stored airtight up to 1 day.
3.Mix cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and confectioners' sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Add melted chocolate if desired and mix until just incorporated. Spread onto 4 cookies. Stack cookies, placing unfrosted cookie on top. Refrigerate until frosting is set, at least 20 minutes or up to 4 hours. Serve at room temperature. Enjoy!

(Yes this does make 7 cookies, but the birthday boy loves cookie dough . . . so our cake had 6!)

18 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

This looks amazing Emaline!! What a wonderfully creative idea! I love it!

Katie M. said...

That is my kind of cake! Love it love it.

teresa said...

I'm going to make my husband make this cake on my birthday!

Melanie said...

That is like a mile-high chocolate chip cookie cake. Amazing! I love the idea and my kids would go crazy over this (plus the presentation on the plate with the drizzled chocolate is lovely)!

Anonymous said...

Ok- so you're probably wondering who the heck I am. I've been working on a blog for a friend of mine and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do the Labels that you have. I was wondering what gadget it is?? Also- I love the cookie cake, makes me drool just looking at it!

Ally said...

I'm wondering about the heavy cream you used. Is it the heavy whipping cream you buy and mix up? And if so do you mix it before hand or while you mixing all the ingredients? Thanks!! I wanted to make this tonight and figured I better ask you so they can turn out as yummy as yours looks. :)

Emily said...

Crystal . . . I am assuming that you mean the labels on the bottom of each blog entry? You can just type them in or select them once you have typed them in at the bottom of each post . . . sorry if this is a crummy explanation!

Emily said...

Ally I just used normal whipping cream.

Deb and Blake said...

Emily, this cake looks fabulous! I can't wait to make this one for my Hubby...he's a chocolate chip cookie monster too! On another note, please take a look at my adoption blog and pass it around...word of mouth is key! Thanks! www.longingtoadoptintexas.blogspot.com

Erin said...

Well I am one of em's lucky sis's and let me say the cookie cake was kick'n good!!! Thanks em I need a chocolate fix :) it was delish!!!
And tell tofu Happy late birthday... I didn't dare text or call ha ha love ya babe!!!

Maria said...

This has been on my to bake list for awhile now. Nice job! It looks perfect!

Julie said...

Love that cake...very impressive!

Talita said...

What a original recipe! Looks fabulous!

Judy said...

This looks wonderful.

Gourmified said...

Holy freakin' cow! That looks amazing! I'm so impressed with your cake baking talents! Looks divine!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This is a masterpiece. I love it. Thanks for sharing it with us at Chocolate Obsession. Please share more of your chocolate recipes on Wednesdays, if you have the time. I know, the others will love them, as I do.

Danielle said...

This look soo good! How do you assemble the layers? it looks really hard!

angela@spinachtiger said...

I've never seen anything like this. Can you please tell me what the texture was like. More like a cookie or a cake? Email is spinachtiger@me.com
Thanks, angela