Monday, November 24, 2008

Zucchini Pancakes

Auch du meine gute! Thanksgiving is just a few days away now! This year has flown by sooooo quickly! Well unless you were waiting for the movie "Twilight" to come out (guilty)! Yep I was among the masses who saw Twilight this past weekend! We had a group of women going (ALL of my sisters, SIL, Mutti, and friends) and had a blast! (three gals are missing from the picture!)
It is always quite the adventure when we get together . . . especially for movies! I sat between my two youngest sisters and we were laughing our heads off! I am sorry but some of the lines were so cheesy . . . (if you saw it you know its true!) My mom kept saying "that's not how it is in the book" and "how could they leave that part out?" She was miffed that they didn't have the meadow scene exactly how it was in the book . . . sorry Mutti!
Anywho my house smelled so wonderful yesterday! I was loving life! I made lemon poppy seed bread, cranberry, orange, pecan bread (my new favorite thing!), and gingerbread. My hubby was going hometeaching so I sent him off with plates laden with deliciousness! Speaking of delicious! I cannot begin to say how much I love Ina Gartens zucchini pancakes! I have made them twice in the past few weeks they are so good . . . given I ate most of them over that time period (my hubby doesn't share my love for zucchini so much) If you have never made zucchini pancakes . . . do! D-lish!
Zucchini Pancakes
Recipe by: Ina Garten

2 medium Zucchini, shredded
2 Tbsp Red Onion, grated
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
6-8 Tbsp Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
Salt
Pepper
unsalted butter and vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees
Grate the zucchini into a bowl and using the large grating side of a box grater. Immediately stir in the onion and eggs. Stir in 6 tablespoons of the flour, the baking powder, salt, and pepper. (if the batter gets too thin from the liquid in the zucchini, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour.)
Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and melt 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon oil together in the pan. When the butter is hot but not smoking, lower the heat to medium-low and drop heaping soup spoons of batter into the pan. Cook the pancakes for about 2 minutes on each side, until browned. Place the pancakes on a sheet pan and keep warm in the oven. Wipe out the pan with a dry paper towel, add more butter and oil to the pan, and continue to fry the pancakes until all the batter is used. The pancakes can stay warm in the oven for 30 minutes. Serve hot.

8 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

These cakes are calling my name. I have some zucchini waiting in the fridge.

Katie M. said...

I L-O-V-E Zucchini pancakes. Num yum yum LECKER!! THat cranberry chutney looks fabulously spectacular. I tried to make a golden raisin/apple/cranberry chutney today and it was very tart, but good.

ALles liebe!

Maria said...

The cakes look wonderful!! Looks like the movie was fun too!

Michelle said...

I have to say I have never tgried zucchini pancakes but I'm going to have to now! These look delicious! :)

Mary Ann said...

Those zucchini pancakes look perfect. I made some a few years ago, but haven't attempted it since. Where are all the yummy quick breads? I am sure those goody plates made lots of people happy!

Prudy said...

Emily! HOoray, I'm back to your blog! I've missed it. You've been busy. Everything looks so good, where do I start? I had my eye on those pancakes and never made them. Maybe I'll squeeze them in next week. How fun to go see Twilight with your sisters and mom. Happy Thanksgiving!

Pam said...

I love Ina's recipes. The zucchini pancakes look and sound fantastic. So do all the other goodies you made.

Jenny said...

These look great! I have to admit that I'm glad I didn't read the Twilight books before I saw the movie. I found I enjoyed the movie despite the cheesy comments! Have a great week!