Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Cabbage, Caramelized Onion, and Bacon Gratin

Paula Deen owns the key to part of my husbands heart! He served his mission in the south and ever since has just loved southern cooking. When we had only been married a few weeks he gave me a few cookbooks that I love . . . one of them being from Miss Paula! Her recipes are overall simple to make and are "down home" all the way!
I made this pork loin using Paula's herb crusted pork recipe (which was SOOOO delicious!) and came up with a cabbage gratin to serve with it weeks ago and have been meaning to blog it . . . but it hasn't happened until today! Oh well. This is my little break from writing my Political Geography paper.
I can only take so much world economics in my head at a time! I am writing about Post-Cold War Russia . . . it's very interesting . . . but lets talk cabbage! I love cabbage! It is such a great veggie to add to just about anything (I think!) . . . toss in some bacon, cheese, cream, and caramelized onions and I am set for life! My mom always made amazing stir fry with long strips of cabbage in it and I loved it! Mmmmm!
Cabbage, Caramelized Onion, and Bacon Gratin
Recipe by: Emily

1/2 Cabbage head, shredded
1 1/2 cups heavy cream or 1/2 & 1/2
1 1/3 cup shredded cheese, Parmesan or Italian blend
1 large Onion
5-6 Strips Bacon, chopped
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper

1. Thinly slice the onion and cook it in a frying pan with the one teaspoon of sugar over medium low heat until caramelized. Add the shredded cabbage and cook for a few minutes until the cabbage and onions are mixed and the cabbage begins to soften. Pour cabbage into a casserole dish and spread out.
2. Crisp the bacon in the cabbage frying pan, lower the heat and add the cream, 1 cup shredded cheese, salt and pepper. Once the cheese has melted pour the cream mixture over the cabbage and top with additional cheese if desired. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 20-30 minutes, until the gratin is bubbly and the cabbage is cooked. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Julie Smith said...

thanks for the advertisement of our cabin! i hope lots of people rent it and try out your recipes while they are there.

Emily said...

Looks great!
Paula's recipes are always winners.

Michelle said...

OH MY! I can almost smell this!! I will definitely have to try this....hmmm...we have a friends Thanksgiving this weekend this looks perfect for the occasion! Thanks for the recipe!

Jenny said...

OH how I wish I had this for dinner tonight Emily! It looks just scrumptious. We are having leftovers tonight. Boring!

Deb and Blake said...

This sounds so delicious! My hubby hates cabbage, but I love it dearly. I can't wait to make this one! Have a great night!