Thursday, January 8, 2009

Chicken, Lime and Black Bean Soup

My handsome hubby got a new job today so we had a little fiesta after I got home from school tonight and enjoyed a new favorite of mine . . . Chicken, Lime, and Black Bean Soup!
I LOVE lime and cilantro! I am a gal of the southwest and am gung-ho for southwest and Mexican cuisine like no other! Whenever we go out to eat my hubby knows that I will most likely want Mexican food or something spicy! He is always game for sushi . . . but not always so much for some of my favorite places to eat . . . so I try not to choose them too often . . . sometimes he is beyond sweet and picks one even though I know it is not his fav!!!
That's my guy in a nutshell . . . he is always amazing and puts me first . . . I try to do the same . . . such as load up soup so it isn't so "soupy." My honey isn't too wild for it if it has tons of liquid so I load it up good with chicken and veggies! I am so making this soup the next time that we have company! In fact we have new neighbors (hint, hint me!) so I need to get in gear and have them over!
I also wish that I had time to run some down to my Mutti who has another sinus infection (painful and annoying!!!) poor lady! I hope that my little sisters made her some soup!!! Or maybe my dad (gulp) ventured into the kitchen . . . I don't know if that would ease my mom any though!?! (Tuna Omelets anyone?)
Em's Chicken, Lime, and Black Bean Soup
Recipe by: Emily4 Chicken breasts
4 cups Chicken Broth
1 can Black Beans (I prefer using low sodium, draining is optional)1 cup Celery, chopped
1 Medium Onion, chopped
4 cloves Garlic, minced
1/4-1/3 cup Lime juice
1/4-1/3 cup fresh Cilantro
1 Tbsp Butter
Poultry Seasoning
Salt
Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes
Diced avocado, sour cream, and tortilla strips to garnish. (Pico would be awesome too!)

1. Lay chicken breasts on a baking sheet and squeeze 1 or 2 fresh lime wedges over each piece, then season lightly with poultry seasoning, a pinch of red pepper flakes, salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Roast in a 375 degree oven for 18-25 minutes or until cooked through. Once chicken is cooked cut into bite size cubes.
2. Chop 1 cup of celery, about 2 stalks (I like to use the celery leaves to flavor the soup and add some color too) and 1 medium onion. Saute celery and onion in a large sauce pan with 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat until tender (about 10 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute, then add the chicken broth.
3. Bring the soup to a simmer and then add cilantro, chicken, and lime juice. Simmer for 2 or 3 minutes, taste, add additional seasoning if desired and then add the black beans. Remove from heat and serve garnished with diced avocado, sour cream, chopped cilantro, and tortilla strips. Enjoy!

(Draining and/or rinsing canned beans creates clearer soup broth. To make a darker, thicker soup use low sodium beans and don't rinse them. I rinsed mine this time, but I also like to use them unrinsed in some soups!)

11 comments:

Deb said...

I made it first! This looks yummy, especially with the avacado on top. MMM MMM! I've missed seeing you in bloggy land girl! Take Care!

kate/katie/katherine/kaatee,etc said...

Hmmm... looks completely refreshing, healthy and right up my alley! Thanks for sharing!

xoxo

Maria said...

The soup looks great! I love how colorful it is! And perfect for these cold days!

Pam said...

I love Mexican food too. This soup is calling my name, it looks hearty, healthy and delicious.

Sara said...

What a creative soup. You amaze me with your inventive recipes. thanks for sharing. I too love mexican food, and am a sucker for lime and cilantro. I wish I had some in my house right now. Darn!

Michelle said...

Emily, this looks deliciously comforting! :)

Jenny said...

Looks delicious Emily. I could eat soup all year round. I am loving those fab avocados!

teresa said...

I just discovered your blog, and it's so much fun! I love the cute quotes and facts on the side. I'll be visiting this one often!

Emily said...

This is my kind of soup! Looks delicious!

Mary Ann said...

What a great soup! It looks so perfect and warming.

Donna said...

Soup looks outstanding and the flavors sound fantastic. Your blog is so interesting!! Glad I found it.