Monday, September 21, 2009

Grandma's 80th Birthday Cake!

This spunky sweet lady, our beloved Grandma Liechty, my hubby's saucy grandma, had her 80th birthday this week and to celebrate I thought that she definitely deserved a cake to match the occasion and her love of life! I was excited to be able to bake my hubby's sweet grandma's cake and we were even more thrilled to eat it!The cake was a death by chocolate cake and went fast! It was awesome to see how excited grandma was and just as much fun to see everyone else's reaction, especially her great-grandkids (my ueber cute nieces and nephews) who were downing marshmallow fondant balls left and right We just loved our trip and seeing the amazing leaves beginning to change throughout Utah! Another fun event this week was finding out that my Famous Stuffed Mushroom's recipe is in the Worldwide Ward Christmas Cookbook . . . flip open the book and their it is . . . the first recipe with a gorgeous picture! A great surprise and a fun cookbook! !Chocolate Fudge Frosting

2 pound bag of powdered sugar
1/4-1/2 cup milk
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 cup Butter
1/3 cup Shortening
7 ounces (1/2 can) Sweetened Condensed Milk
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips, or milk chocolate

Beat the butter and shortening together until smooth, add the vanilla, powder sugar, and 1/4 cup of milk (add more milk if needed). Set aside

Mix the chocolate chips, condensed milk and salt together in a microwave-safe bowl.
heat on high for 1 minute intervals, stirring after each, until chocolate is melted.
cool to room temperature before beating into buttercream. Chill frosting before using. Enjoy

This is a very rich frosting/cake filling!

7 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

What a fabulous cake Emaline!! She looks well pleased with it too!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Wow, another great cake. And happy birthday to grandma!

Brie Wheelwright said...

I love your blog. That is one of the cutest cakes I have ever seen and truly inspires me. Can't wait to check the rest out.

Jen M said...

You are amazing. The cake is so sassy .. I love it. What a lucky Grandma!!

teresa said...

you are so talented! great job on the cake!

~The Dippold's said...

What a wonderful Grand-daughter you must be. The cake is amazing! Congrats on being published in the Worldwide Ward Christmas Cookbook. That is so exciting! :)

Julie said...

What a beautiful cake! I've never worked with fondant but I've been thinking about it :)
Hope I'm that spry when I'm 80!