Monday, January 31, 2011

Ratatouille

Finally! I finally made Ratatouille!!! This may seem like no big deal to you savvy cooks who have "been their" and "done that" but I have always wanted to try it out and had NEVER met an eggplant that I liked . . . until this weekend . . . when a beauty came in my Bountiful Basket. I did have to trade using fresh tomatoes for canned stewed . . . but for a first time I think this dish turned out VERY tasty and pretty lovely to look at too . . . a sequel will be coming when summer tomatoes make it back but until then I can say that I made it and liked it! Ratatouille
1 large Eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 large Zucchini, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 medium Onion, chopped into large chunks
2 Large Ripe Tomatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces OR 1 can Italian Stewed Tomatoes
1 clove Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Freshly chopped or torn Basil
1/2 tsp dry Thyme
1 Tbsp Parsley, chopped
Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper

1. Place the eggplant in a colander over a bowl and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt. Toss to coat and allow to drain for 2 hours. Rinse with cold water and firmly pat dry with paper towels.

2. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine zucchini and eggplant with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Evenly spread mixture on a foil lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast eggplant and zucchini in the oven for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 8 or 9 minutes to evenly brown.

3. While the eggplant and zucchini roast, heat a medium skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot add the chopped onion, cook until the onion begins to brown and lower heat to medium low. Cook for 15 minutes then higher the heat to medium, add the garlic, cook for 30 seconds and add the can of tomatoes and thyme. Allow the juices to reduce for 5 minutes then add the roasted vegetables and fresh herbs. Cook for 2-3 more minutes to allow the flavors to meld together and serve. Enjoy!
This is INCREDIBLE in lasagna!!!

7 comments:

teresa said...

i've always wanted to try this myself. i love all the veggies!

Unknown said...

Mmmmmm Emily this looks amazing!

Frieda Loves Bread said...

Congratulations! It does look tasty...

buyffxivgil said...

OMG, I can't held my mouth to water at the delectable sight. Veggy veggy good, light and delicious. I want to close the pantry and eat it all by myself. XD

Unknown said...

This look delicious! I am going to put it on my to try list.

Mother Rimmy said...

Beautiful dish. It's such a classic dish, but I, like you, have never tried it. You've inspired me to give it a try!

Nikki said...

Hi Emily,
I know this is an odd place to post this question, but I am looking for a killer frosting for cupcakes. I saw your penuche frosting link (yum, looks good!) but I am wondering if you have made a thicker frosting that stands up on the cupcake. Let me know please!!
Thanks,
Nikki
jerenik@yahoo.com