Sunday, May 24, 2009

Twilight Cake

My youngest sister is turning 18 today . . . so I volunteered to make her birthday cake! She (like all of the girls in my fam) is a SERIOUS fan of the Twilight series . . . so I surprised her with a Twilight birthday cake! I tried out a few new decorations and used a stencil and royal icing on the side, and added a little sparkle, ribbon etc. I was a little ticked when my top layer of fondant was too soft . . . but since this is my second time working with it . . . and the bottom layer of fondant had a perfect consistency I didn't sweat it too much. Also I learned that if your frosting evades the stencil form you can carefully scrape off the excess and use a moist fine tipped soft brush to wipe away the remnants and clean up the lines . . . (live and learn) I am making a wedding cake for my darling cousin in two weeks and am major pumped! It is a cowboy cake and is going to be awesome!!! Hopefully I will have something more than cake to post soon! We'll see!

15 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

I am sure she will be beyond thrilled with this cake. It looks fabulous!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

You make the BEST cakes! Happy birthday to sis.

Reeni said...

I love it! You did a fantastic job!!

teresa said...

How fun! I love all the black, white and red! Have a great party, say hi to Edward for me!

Brandi said...

Em that is amazing once again! The wedding cake is going to be awesome!
We've had so much fun lately! See you this week!!

Norah said...

Such a pretty cake! It's very impressive.

Julie said...

That's beautiful...I'm sure she loved it!

Rachel said...

I saw your blog listed as a "random blog" on the Foodie BlogRoll and thought I'd stop by! Your cake is outstanding...you did a wonderful job!

cookies and cups said...

So, I guess this is your second try at fondant?!? You are a natural! SO great! Did you dye your fondant black or buy some black? Gorgeous!

Heidi said...

This looks beautiful!j

Emily said...

I made the fondant from scratch . . . colored it black myself . . . I now have purple hands to show for it!

Katerina said...

Twillight cake, I love it, do you ship ? ;)

Katie M. said...

I am always so amazed by your talent but not surprised. Why don't you start a cake business woman? You'd sure fly!

Erin said...

THANKS EM FOR THE ABSOLUTE BEST BIRTHDAY CAKE EVER!!! When I came home from grad night and saw it i about hit the hardwood floor not from being so tired due to it being 5:30 but from my dream cake!!! I love ya so much!!! LOVE VELVEETA :) :)

Maria said...

Great job on the cake! It looks awesome!