If you have never had Walnut Shrimp now is your chance to experience a little heaven here on earth! My hubby gave it 2 thumbs up . . . as did I! I could live on chinese food! Some friends of ours told us about a chinese restaurant in a little town an hour or so away that we are amped to try as soon as the weather clears a bit! We'll have to do a triple D report when we make it over their! Until then I am more than content enjoying this tasty delight!
Recipe by: Emily
1 lb Large Shrimp, deveined, shelled and tails removed
3/4 cup Water
1/2 cup Sugar
4 Egg Whites
1/2 cup Corn Starch
1/2 cup Walnuts, halves or chopped
1/4 cup Mayonaisse (regular, light, or fat free)
2 Tbsp Honey
1 1/2 Tbsp Sweetened Condensed Milk (regular or fat free)
1/4 tsp paprika
1 cup Oil (use whatever you prefer for frying, I used canola)
1. Combine the water and sugar together in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, add 1/2 cup of halved or chopped walnuts and boil for 2 minutes. Remove walnuts from sugar syrup and allow to cool on a cookie sheet.
2. Mix the mayo, honey, sweetened condensed milk, and parika together in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Beat the 4 egg whites in a medium bowl until light and frothy, add corn starch and wisk into a light batter.
4. Heat 1 cup of oil in a deep frying pan over medium high heat. Dip shrimp into corn starch batter and coat lightly, fry shrimp in oil until lightly golden brown on each side. Drain fried shrimp on paper towels or a brown paper bag.
5. Once all of the shrimp have been fried add them to the honey/mayo mixture and carefully coat the shrimp with the sauce. Sprinkle the candied walnuts on top of the shrimp and serve. Enjoy!
Don't forget to enter to win the Worldwide Ward Christmas Cookbook!
43 minutes ago