I made this for dinner last week and loved it! If you don't want to take the time to make rissoto just add whatever rice you like in place of the pearl rice and follow the cooking instructions on the package substituting chicken stock in the place of water and then just mix everything together before stuffing the squash. I love the texture and creaminess of risotto though and honestly it doesn't take much more time than regular rice does to cook. Okay I am off to take my Hebrew final . . . shalom!
White Acorn Squash Stuffed with Sausage and Pecan Risotto
Recipe by: Emily
1 lb Sausage
1 cup Pearl or Arborrio Rice
1 small Onion, chopped
1/3 cup Pecans, chopped and toasted
5-6 cups Chicken Stock
1 Tbsp Parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp Real Maple Syrup
2 tsp Butter
1. Brown the sausage in a large saucepan. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and add onion to pan. Cook onion until it is soft and begins to caramelize.
2. While the onions are cooking pour the stock into a saucepan and bring to a simmer, then turn the heat down to low.
3. Add the butter and pearl rice to the onions, stir until the butter is melted and has coated the rice. Add 1/2 sup stock to the rice and onion mixture and cook over medium-low heat until most of the liquid is absorbed.
4. Continue adding 1/2 cup stock to the rice in intervals after the liquid has been absorbed until the rice is creamy and has just a little bite still.
5. Add the sausage and pecans to the rice with 2 teaspoons of maple syrup, season to tase with salt and pepper. Add the chopped parsley and remove from heat. Cut 3 acorn squash in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Lightly butter the cavities of the squash. Place squash halves on a baking sheet and evenly distribute the risotto into each acorn squash half. Sprinkle the top of each filled squash half with additional chopped pecans and then drizzle lightly with maple syrup. Cover pan with foil and bake in a 375 degree oven for 25-35 minutes or until the squash flesh is soft and cooked through. (pierce flesh with a knife to check.) Enjoy!
37 minutes ago