Monday, February 15, 2010

Steak Oscar

I hope that you all had a fabulous Valentines Day! Mine started with breakfast in bed (thank you Toph!) so I would say that I definitely had a good one! In turn I made steak oscar for lunch for my hubby and I. It is one of my favorite steak dishes and I bought some asparagus that was so tender and perfect that I couldn't pass it up.
My hubby is a meat man all the way . . . so as long as he is getting steak he can handle all of the "fluff" on top . . . although I hardly think of crab, asparagus, and hollandaise sauce as fluff. (He also likes his steak very rare . . . hence the very pink look in the pictures).
Steak Oscar
Recipe by: Emily

2 Steaks, I used rib steak ribeyes . . . New York is another favorite cut or you can't go wrong with a fillet
8 Asparagus stalks
4-6 Tbsp Hollandaise Sauce
Crab, canned or lump, (I used one can for 2 servings)
Salt and Pepper
Butter
Steak Seasoning
1 Small Clove Garlic, minced
2 tsp Olive Oil
1-2 Tbsp Water

1. Season steaks using salt and pepper or your favorite steak seasoning (we like McCormick). Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat and add a pat of butter to melt, sear steak for 3-5 minutes on each side until cooked to desired pinkness. While steaks cook wash asparagus and trim off the woody stems. Toss cleaned and prepped asparagus with olive oil, garlic, and a light sprinkling of salt and pepper. Remove steaks from heat and cover with foil and allow to rest while cooking asparagus.
2. Lower the heat and wipe out the skillet with a paper towel or wash pan before cooking asparagus. Heat skillet over medium heat and saute asparagus adding a little water if needed to deglaze the pan and aide in cooking. Cook asparagus for 5-8 minutes or just until tender. Top steaks with asparagus stalks and then top asparagus with crab. Spoon Hollandaise sauce over the top and serve. Enjoy!

4 comments:

teresa said...

mmmm, what a great v-day meal! i love what you topped it with!

Rachel said...

Wow, that looks amazing. Your husband is quite lucky!

Sophie said...

What a tasty Valentine's Day meal! Hearty but still romantic :).

Trish Adkins said...

This sounds yummy and just what I was looking for our at-home date night tomorrow. I wonder--can you tell a difference between canned crab and the cold pack crab in the seafood department?